2015-04-11

Post XXVIII - Removal from the molds, interior rough finishing

Just a quick post this time. The whitehall is now off the molds. Father-in-law was over and helped me lift it free. There were no major issues with getting it off the molds at all. I just used my wood mallet to give each station mold a good knock (to break the glue remnants free), and off it came.


Figure 116: Removed from the mold. Temporary thwarts in place.


Figure 117: From a different angle - showing the nice sweeping sheerline



With it up on sawhorses, I made a quick modification to the strongback so that it could act as a cradle instead. A couple of angled boards and braces to hold them in place. Cradles are made out of a jib halyard I retired from my sailboat a few years ago. The set-up isn't particularly mobile (as compared to dedicated cradle sawhorses) but it's much easier to have the strongback out of the way & under the boat for now. I don't plan on doing the remaining work outside either, so this will be fine.

Figure 118: View of my fancy cradle made out of old jib halyard and scrap wood


Finally, I started the task of finishing the interior. This is going to be a lot of work. The plans-seller advised me to use a paint scraper with the sharp corners filed away to do the initial sanding job. I started the process but it is looking pretty rough -- there's no way to use the scraper along the grain, and it seems to tear the grain quite badly when you use it across. 

Hopefully sanding afterward removes the nasty marks left behind by the scraper.

===================EDIT==================

Found a pic of  the nasty marks left by the scraper -- looks like absolute shit. I am editing now after having sanded all this out. It took fucking forever; it would have been much much better to just sand the inside without scraping. Grrah.

Figure 118.5: Crappy crap marks. 



======================================


Figure 119: From the stern



No comments:

Post a Comment